Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Too Dog-Gone Far

Let me preface this post by going on the record and saying that I love animals.  I’m a dog person at heart and will be getting one within the next year or two.  Also, I had bacon this morning for breakfast.  That having been said...

We’ve taken things a little bit too far in this country in regards to how we treat/pamper out pets.  What’s that?  You’d like an example?  Absolutely!  The other day I was eating outside at a restaurant and as I watched people walk by I saw a woman pushing a stroller.  When she got to where I was sitting I turned to look at what I assumed was her new baby.  My jaw hit the ground when I saw a DOG sitting in the seat.  She was taking her dog for a walk in a stroller.  A dog in a stroller.  I typed that point three times because that’s about how long it took me to really put my head around and process what I just saw.  I’m sorry, but when my dad told me to take the dog for a walk when I was younger I never once thought, “Gee, I wonder where my sister’s old stroller is?  I’m sure the dog would be more comfortable sitting down in a moving seat while I pushed it along.”  IT’S A DOG!  The whole point of taking it for a walk is to let it sniff things, explore, do it’s “business,” and to let it get some exercise.

It doesn’t just stop at dogs in strollers...oh no.  When I really stopped and thought about it I realized just how much people are doting over their pets these days.  Dressing their pets up in designer collars and clothes, taking them to pet beauty salons and getting their “hair” done or their nails painted (you can actually get a pet pedicure or as some people call it a “peticure”), buying them five star pet meals at pet restaurants, bringing them EVERYWHERE, carrying them around in pet carrier/purse hybrids, and even getting them their own homes.  Paris Hilton’s six dogs have a 300 sq. ft. dog mansion in Paris’s backyard with a price tag of $325,000.  Don’t believe me?  Google it.  It’s sick.

Do you remember when dogs used to be dogs?  When you used to take them out to the park without worrying if they were allergic to grass or if they’d be cold?  When you would feed them kibble for most of the week and treat them once in a while with a can of wet/soft food?  When dogs used to have nuts before everyone started chopping them off and they’d hump the couch?!  That was entertainment for the whole family! Do you remember when a dog was “man’s best friend” and not treated like an actual human baby?  Don’t get me wrong, I think we should respect our pets, love our pets, and treat them with kindness but, still remember that they are pets.  They’re animals.  They don’t need us.  They would be able to survive on their own just fine.  Instead of buying your dog that “peticure,” maybe donate that $100 to a charity?  Instead of buying your dog the high-end, organic, made from angus beef dog food that they only eat half of before it dries out and has to be thrown away, maybe buy some groceries and donate them to your local food bank.  Don’t forget that while it’s nice to look out for your pets it’s also nice to look out for your fellow human being.

If you have a suggestion or an observation about something, anything, please e-mail it to me at ducttapebacon@gmail.com or feel free to post a comment.

Cheers,
- Justin

No comments:

Post a Comment