Thursday, November 11, 2010

Two Snaps & A Rewind

COMING THIS DECEMBER:  A MOVIE YOU’VE ALREADY SEEN!!!!

There, I’ve just saved the movie industry millions, if not billions, of dollars on advertising.  They should thank me.  Honestly, I’ll be waiting for my check.  Well, why shouldn’t I get one?  I just did about as much work in fifteen seconds as most of the Hollywood execs. do in a week.  By now I’m sure you’ve figured out that I’m talking about the lack of ideas in Hollywood and I’m also sure that you feel the same way.

Hollywood used to be a place where the creative mind flourished, where great pieces of film were conceptualized and brought to life, and where no one told the Jews, “No.”  While that last part still holds pretty true the cold reality is that the big-wig, money hungry executives have just about run out of fresh, imaginative ideas.  Oh sure every once in a while we’ll see a gem wriggle it’s way through the cracks and shine itself brightly on the silver screen but the vast majority of what we’re feed is complete crap.

Take for example the hundreds of reboots (another word for remaking where you don’t give any acknowledgment to an existing movie of the same story, i.e. Hulk & The Incredible Hulk) that have speed past our eyes over the years, only to be pushed out of the way by the next one.  I group in, with the reboots, the unnecessary prequels/sequels that are dumped out for a quick buck as well.  In the next year or two alone, we are looking at over twenty of these types of movies.  Some of these titles will include:  Teen Age Mutant Ninja Turtles, An American Werewolf in London, The Blob, Child’s Play, Fantastic 4, Short Circuit, Dune, and Judge Dredd.  REALLY...JUDGE DREDD!  Do we really need to revisit this story?!  How much “better” can you make it?  And if you’ve never see Dune make sure you keep it that way; those of you who have seen it will back me up on that.

It was when I found out that they are going to be rebooting the Spider-Man franchise that I was pushed over the edge.  In case you’d forgotten, Spider-Man came out in 2002.  That’s eight years ago.  I’m sorry, but to reboot a movie, let alone an entire franchise, eight years after the original came out is ludicrous.  I say that there should be a fifteen year minimum time frame before you can touch a movie.  The reboot is going to be grittier, a la Christopher Nolan with Batman, focusing on a younger Peter Parker, age six to nine, and how he came to be the web-slinger.  The movie is slated to be released on July 3, 2012.  Honestly, I didn’t believe it before but I’m starting to think that 2012 might, in fact, be the “end of days.” 

I’m not saying that you can’t try a different spin on the same story but give us some time in between to digest the first effort and maybe get some variety in our mental stomachs.  As I said in my first blog, this is a time where creativity is blooming from all different parts of the country...the world.  I know there are some very talented writers in LA, in fact there may be too many and that could be the problem.  If that’s the case, then expand your searches.  I can think of a dozen very talented writers I know personally who have great ideas and would love a shot at bringing a completely new idea to the table.  But that will probably never happen for any of them because we are told to believe that recycling tired, used material is something that is safe and fun and entertaining.  Those of us who disagree, this is a call to arms.

Benjamin Bratt was recently in a movie called La Mission.  If you’ve not seen this movie you should make the time to do so.  It’s really a beautiful piece of cinematic art.  It was made by 5 Stick Films, Inc., Bratt’s new production company.  Along with his brother and their other business partner they started this company because they felt the same way about film as I do.  They were so surprised, even with Bratt’s name in Hollywood, how hard it was to get La Mission picked up and promoted by a movie house.  They decided to take matters into their own hands and take back the art that they both loved so dearly. 

I challenge you, like the Bratt brothers, to create something.  It doesn’t have to be an entire production company, however if it is let me know because I’d be perfect for your business.  Just pick something that you like to do and start creating, like I did with this blog.  I’m also in the works of putting together a sketch comedy troupe.  “Traditional art” in mainstream society seems to be going very comfortably down the corporate route but you have the power to affect what you consider art to you.  If you love music, write a song, or help promote an up and coming band.  If you love to draw, make a little collection of your work and find a space that you can showcase it.  It doesn’t have to be anything ground breaking, it just has to be something.

If you have a suggestion or an observation about something, anything, please e-mail it to me at ducttapebacon@gmail.com or feel free to post a comment.

Cheers,
- Justin

2 comments:

  1. I agree!! I heard that there is talks of doing a remake of Back to the Future... with JUSTIN BEIBER!?! Just kill me now.

    also. i love you. and your blog.

    the end

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with most of your post...except the Ninja Turtles part. I love throwback 80's remakes!

    Create, create, create! The only way to get out of this national artistic slump is to create new art! Push the envelope, and not just for shock value. Eventually ingenuity pays off.

    Amen, Brother Justin. Preach the good word.

    ReplyDelete